Friday, December 2, 2011

100 Greatest Country Music Guitarists

Certainly only a list. These lists are more for reference than competition or hierarchy. At this time about half of the players listed have links that will further inform you as to their respective talent. I urge you to further investigate these players.

I had to revise my list because Mr. Sugiyama (Country music Sensei) pointed out that I failed to list Buck Owens! Be mistake - ! Bakersfield sound is the real deal!


  1.    Chet Atkins  
  2.    Merle Travis
  3.    Joe Maphis
  4.    Roy Clark
  5.   Buck Owens
  6.    Speedy West
  7.    Albert Lee
  8.    Maybelle Carter
  9.    Buddy Emmons
  10.    Noel Boggs
  11.   Jerry Byrd
  12.   Tony Rice
  13.  Doc Watson
  14.  Norman Blake
  15.  Ricky Skaggs
  16.  Danny Gatton
  17.  Ray Flacke
  18.  Red Rhodes
  19.  Lester Flatt
  20.  Hank Garland
  21.  Leon McAuliffe
  22.  Roy Nichols
  23.  Clarence White
  24.  Doyle Dykes
  25.  Charlie McCoy
  26.  Jimmy Bryant
  27.  Paul Franklin
  28.  Little Roy Wiggins
  29.  Joaquin Murphy
  30.  Pete Drake
  31.  Jerry Reed
  32.  Curly Chalker
  33.  Grady Martin
  34.  Jerry Douglas
  35.  Junior Brown
  36.  Sonny Garish
  37.  Billy Grammer
  38.  Dan Dugmore
  39.  Charles Sawtelle
  40.  Lee Roy Parnell
  41.  John Jorgensen
  42.  Sam McGee
  43.  Carl Perkins
  44.  Eddie Alkire
  45.  James Burton
  46.  Vince Gill
  47.  Keith Urban
  48.  David Grier
  49.  Glenn Campbell
  50.  Scotty Moore
  51.  Brad Paisley
  52.  Johnny Hiland
  53.  Jimmy Day
  54.  Jerry Donahue
  55.  Herb Remington
  56.  Don Rich
  57.  Ralph Mooney
  58.  Dan Crary
  59.  Don Helms
  60.  Joe Carr
  61.  Bud Isaacs
  62.  Lloyd Green
  63.  Bob White
  64.  Bill Emerson
  65.  Bill Kirchen
  66.  Zane Beck
  67.  Brent Rowan
  68.  Eddie Taylor
  69.  Bobby Garrett
  70.  John Jennings
  71.  Bob Dunn
  72.  Dickey Betts
  73.  Tom Morrell
  74.  Brent Mason
  75.  Hal Rugg
  76.  John Hughey
  77.  Russ Barenberg
  78.  Jimmie Crawford
  79.  James Allen Shelton
  80.  Jaydee Maness
  81.  Rusty Young
  82.  Weldon Myrick
  83.  B. J. Cole
  84.  Johnny Sibert
  85.  Bryan Sutton
  86.  Buddy Charleton
  87. Doug Jernigan
  88. Pee Wee Wightwing
  89.  Tom Brumley
  90.  Jeff Newman
  91.  Roy Smeck
  92.  Eldon Shamblin
  93.  Sean Watkins
  94.  Ry Cooder
  95.  Harold Bradly
  96.  Eric Weissberg
  97.  Peter Rowan
  98.  Billy Bowman
  99.  Dan Crary
  100.  Eddy Shaver
  101.  Buddy Miller

14 comments:

Sergej said...

Amazing list!
But where is Tony Joe White?

Scott said...

I am not perfect! The nice about this blog is that I can make adjustments for oversights. Thanks for the feedback! I'll update this soon with a link!

Martigan said...

I would say that Glen Campbell is in the top 5

Anonymous said...

Leon Rhodes.

Unknown said...

The fact that you put Glen Campbell at 49th, behind Buck Owens (???), Maybelle Carter, and Lester Flatt is just one of the problems with this list.

Unknown said...

The fact that you put Glen Campbell at 49th, behind Buck Owens (???), Maybelle Carter, and Lester Flatt is just one of the problems with this list.

Scott said...

I need to revise this list but it takes time. I am glad people are keeping me honest. However, Buck Owens is near the top of the list - Not behind Glen. Besides, who is the best is very subjective. In fact, I am surprise I haven't taken more heat for the lack of females. Bring it on!!!!!

richard Ryan said...

Surely you cannot leave Jimmy Capps out of the top 100. Richard

Scott said...

My name's not Shirley! Jimmy Capps wasn't overlooked on purpose. The list needs revision. I would like to encourage people to advise me because it helps me broaden my knowledge. There are many great players out there that aren't on the list. I tried to link home pages to the artists and those change over time and I have many broken links. It's difficult to manage but I'll keep at it. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Did you consider Jeff Cooke?

Drena St John said...

Jeff Cooke should be considered. He can play anything!!

Unknown said...

Scotty Anderson

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm blind and just didn't see them...but...

Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Vince Gill, Steve Wariner, Brent Mason

..the best modern country guitarists.

Scott said...

I think I am going to change the title to "Why you shouldn't make a list about nouns." You are correct in writing that I missed those guys. I would also add Daniel Donado. Alas, I am too busy. One of these days I'll get around to updating the list.

Post a Comment