Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Listening Post - What is inspiring me this week? October 1, 2014


Charles Mingus - photo by Don Hunstein


Some time has flown by and I haven't really had the time to post my current influences because life sometimes gets in the way and leads us down new roads. So while I have a moment I will post some of the music I have been listening to in the past week or two. Frankly, I am a click scamp and if I hadn't noticed that these posts sort of popped - I probably wouldn't bother. Thanks for looking!


Led Zeppelin II - They remastered it and the companion disc has backing tracks. This makes the album even more appealing~!!
Tom Petty Hypnotic Eye - the first time I heard "You get me high" made me reminisce about the first Petty album. More great hooks from an American icon. 
The Beatles  - Abby Road. Well, I bought a fuzz pedal and cranked up the reverb and played "She's so Heavy" until my brain was cooked, then I played some more!
The Doors - I loved the Doors as a punky kid and only now am I beginning to think I "get it." Late bloomer!
Black Sabbath - Paranoid - I have all the albums! BUT - now I need the CD's. I cannot play the albums in my car - damn it! Ozzy's lyrics are priceless. The sum total of this band kicked butt.
Imelda May - "It's good to be alive, Tribal, Hellfire club are all barn burners. Imelda always seems to tease her public with "The right amount of Wrong." I love this band!
Lou Reed - Everything this guy did is worth listening to because he had a reason behind all of it. Some of the reasons he took to the grave while other reason were worn on his shirt sleeve.
The Prentenders - James Honeyman-Scott and Chrissie Hyndes, Johnny Marr, I hadn't really sat down and listened in a few years. I wore out the records. Honeyman-Scott played different than anyone else at the time. 
Iggy Pop and The Stooges - Raw Power. Search and Destroy... Raw power was an understated fact. To think that Iggy was influenced by the Doors just goes to show how people take what they hear and then do their own thing.
Gary Clark Jr - I bought the Live CD. The recording is done well, I heard a lot of tone and this is not washed out like some live CD's. Is Gary the second coming of Hendrix? I think that is a stupid question. Is Gary Clark talented and inventive? I'd say he has his own sound and his tone is thick and he puts on a hell of a show. Spare me the vapid racist Hendrix comparisons. Gary Clark rocks!

There is a lot of guitar centered references above. I've just been in that kind of mood and I've let my bebop slide but it doesn't mean I won't spin Miles or Mingus tomorrow. I guess I get into guitar music as summer closes and Fall begins. Autumn leaves are upon us so let's remember to buy good music and listen to it with good friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment