Sunday, November 4, 2012

Just because it's a vintage guitar.............

Just because it's a vintage guitar doesn't mean it plays well. Just because she's pretty doesn't mean she's flawless. I would be a rich man if I had a nickel from every person who told me they bought a vintage instrument that looked awesome; is described as awesome on Ebay, Craigslist, or Gbase but plays like scrape wood with strings attached. Try it before you buy it and buy it locally. If you don't live by wonderful vintage dealers then move because you probably live on an island where I want to live so make room and move out! If you live in Maui - LEAVE Immediately and make room for me. I digest, or digress... Er ahem - I am slightly kidding about the deserted island.

If you buy up every vintage piece you see find you've bought poorly playing instruments, this might be the universe and it's own divine way of telling you that you have too much money. I too can remedy that situation, send me your money and I'll put it to good use saving the wild life in my house. Let me be frank, play the instrument before you pay for the instrument and you'll fare better in terms of purchasing a really fancy instrument that also plays well. That leads me to look at the word, "fancy," as looks aren't everything. I've met some plain Jane guitars that are serious butt kickers in terms of tone. Better yet, I'll let you in on a little secret, I try the ugly ones first and later try my luck on the prettier guitars. This is starting to sound like advise I'd give to a teenager........ Ugly guitars sometimes are sleepers and should not be overlooked.

So, if you do have the money ( I don't) - Here are some awesome vintage guitars. I happened upon a few guitars that a fine gentleman and purveyor of quality instruments left behind as he moved on to a ever-green ethereal pasture. The following photo's are just a hint of his collection.

Get out a handkerchief as this will make you weep!
1950 Fender Broadcaster

1966 Fender MusicMaster
1964 MusicMaster
1966 Telecaster

1950 Gibson ES 150

1968 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top

1933 Gibson L7



Nice 1968 Fender Telecaster


The Fender Broadcaster is really a beauty as are most of the guitars above. I reiterate; never buy one unless you've tried it or if you trust your deal implicitly. Most of all, buy it to play it and not hang it on the wall. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Practice!!!! I know I need to practice too as I am spending too much time writing this blog instead of playing. However, my neighbors are probably happy about my blogging............. 

No comments:

Post a Comment